Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I heart I heart Huckabees!


"I heart Huckabees" has been on my to see list since it first hit theaters in 2004. When it finally made it to my mailbox via Netflix, it then sat in my apartment for over a month before I finally saw it. It was worth the wait. I laughed my ass off from beginning to end and clapped at the end even though I was watching it alone.
This light hearted satire about "existential detectives" (i'm laughing already :P ) played by the awesome Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman (in the first role since "The Graduate" I like), hits just the right tone. It's one of those movies where everyone is on the same page. The entire cast is awesome. Jason Schwartzman is a wonderful rare find. As much as I'd love to hate Jude Law, I have to admit that he is just damn good. Naomi Watts gets it right as always, and even Mark Wahlberg is pretty damn funny.

This is a thoughtful, somewhat quirky movie, that manages to escape potential pretentiousness with just the right balance of appropriate silliness. Works for me! :D

No comments: