Tuesday, January 13, 2009

4 Hours with Che Gueverra


I almost feel like I have to like "Che" after investing 4 and a half hours in it. I suppose for the most part I did like it, but I can't help feeling that someone thought making a four hour movie with subtitles qualifies it for relentless praise and awards.

The film is broken into two parts, the first depicting the Cuban Revolution, the second depicting Che's foray and subsequent capture in Bolivia. It is for the most part, an epic war movie, with not much difference between the two segments. The first segment attempts to insert some historical context with flash "forwards" to interviews with Che, and Che in the UN. It's a nice attempt, but doesn't quite work as smoothly as one would hope.

Benicio Del Toro is no doubt a talented actor, but with the film's painfully obvious favorable portrayal of Che, you wonder what the real Che was like. With such a lengthy movie I had hoped for a little more delving into this fascinating character, or to learn a little more of the surrounding historical context... something more.

I suppose there is merit in a film that can hold one's interest for over 4 hours, but there should also be reason for a film to be that long.

No comments: